The Free And Open Source Wonder
A Linux server functions on Linux operating system which is established on UNIX and collaborates with various hardware platforms.
What is linux?
- Linux is a free, open-source operating system which uses UNIX as foundation and can shore up with numerous hardware platforms like x86, x64CPUs.
- Linux OS has steadiness, dependability and is exceptionally powerful with admirable networking and software development applications.
- Linux is considered to be an outstanding and reasonably priced surrogate when compared to many other pricey operating systems.
- Linux has foremost contribution as server operating system and in matters where internet is concerned.
What is server?
- It is a computer which is connected to a network where it waits to respond to client’s requests.
- It corresponds with entire world all the way through its network wire.
- There are numerous server programs running at once which allows the server to respond to any kind of request concurrently and swiftly.
Linux servers are less costly when compared to Microsoft servers, hence they are considered to be competitive replacement to them. Linux servers go one better than Windows NT and many other UNIX systems. Many leading businesses use Linux servers for their effective network performance. Linux servers are a combined package offered by many companies out there and not owned by any single person, since it is still under development though people are using it. Few renowned versions of Linux servers are:
Red Hat- Red Hat Linux is key power in pursuit for information hub rack space. It might even be possible that it is backed by large server hardware vendors like IBM, HP and Dell. This is recommended if a person mulls over using Linux servers in their company considering its best hardware backing.
Ubuntu- These Linux servers outdoes all other distributions with its simple installing procedure to its outstanding hardware unearthing to its top-notch marketable support.
SUSE– People, who need Linux servers for small scaled businesses or home needs, go for this server. It suits more for first time experimentation though it supports bulky servers. Dedicated Linux Server
Dedicated Linux servers only uses Linux operating system attracted to Linux’s good quality performances and accessibility.
With intensifying recognition of Linux and with impressive maturity levels of the operating system, selecting a dedicated Linux server for dedicated web hosting solutions can be a great choice. SingleHop is the most excellent existing choice to host inexpensive Dedicated Linux server for hosting. The operating systems currently collaborated on Dedicated Linux Server are:
1. CentOS (4.x)
2. Debian (Stable)
Linux servers have already proved themselves to be the world’s well-liked server, along with dedicated Linux server for web services and applications are effortless to approach at very inexpensive value. CentOS dedicated Linux server maintains together cPanel dedicated servers and PLESK dedicated servers, both of them being influential control panels which assist in automation of dedicated Linux server processes.
cPanel dedicated linux servers:
- cPanel dedicated servers come with preinstalled web based system to manage server accounts
- An additional profit of cPanel dedicated linux server is it carries out utterly everything like supervising and gain access to DNS, email, MySQL which does not prevail in any other less expensive dedicated server.
- cPanel hosting servers let clients to offer web hosting services at reasonable value without any trouble.
PLESK dedicated linux servers:
- PLESK dedicated server put forward entirely automated hosting control panel which has been thought-out for stress-free access and sanction system administrator painless supervision of bulky amount of virtual records.
- PLESK is frequently used by most important host contributor universally for shared, virtual and dedicated hosting.
- It is designed to make simpler management and organization of websites.
- It consents the service suppliers to lessen working expenditure and assets at the similar moment escalating prosperity, competence and consumer contentment.
Linux virtual Server
Linux virtual server provides load harmonizing solution for Linux systems; it utilizes clustering technology to offer elevated presentation.
Linux Virtual Server itself functions on Linux, however it can still balance load from clients using any operating systems to real servers running on any other operating system as long as those connections use Transmission Control Protocol or User Datagram Protocol. Linux virtual server is built on group of real servers with load balance using Linux OS. This clustering or grouping of real servers provides good scalability, consistency and serviceability.
Few of the Linux virtual server solutions proposed are:
IPVS: it is software for Internet Protocol load balancing which is implemented inside Linux heart or kernel.
KTCPVS: it implements load balancing at application-level inside Linux heart or kernel.
Applications of Linux Virtual Server:
Linux Virtual Server using Layer 4 switching can be used for numerous network services such as Scalable web, Caching, Mail, ftp, VOIP and media services
Layer 4 Switching
In layer 4 switching process, the Linux Director decides as to which real server should get the packets. Forwarding packets to a real server is done in three different ways:
Network Address Translation (NAT):
It is a technique to manipulate address, destination and/or source port of the packet.
Direct Routing: Real server directly receives packets from end users.
IP-IP Encapsulation: A different network receives redirected packets from another IP address.
Linux virtual Server NAT has simple configuration of LVS, here the packets from real servers will be acknowledged by Linux director and target IP address will be rephrased to any of the real servers. Real server return packets will change their source IP address.
Real Servers: They ensure safe routing of return packets via Linux Director. It also makes sure that port 80 will handle all connections from the clients or end users.
Linux Server Configuration
Linux server configuration contains all the core particulars for Linux configuration to run web server, mysql, telnet and ftp.
We are here to discuss the basic Linux server configuration details in order to help the user access ftp, web server and mysql, ftp from their respective system from home or their workplace. It means that the user will have to gain knowledge on configuring the processes which consist of mysql, httpd, xinetd by first and foremost concentrating on Red Hat Linux. It is also suggested to familiarize oneself with commands available for effortless administration of servers.